- Click here to view all of the horses available for adoption.
- Complete DEFHR's online Horse Interest Form (or click here to download a form and submit by mail).
- Upon receiving your interest form, DEFHR staff will contact you to schedule an appointment to visit DEFHR. Expect two or more visits to determine compatibility of horse and handler.
- Complete an adoption application and submit it along with the application fee.
- DEFHR will review the application, contact references and schedule an appointment to inspect the property where the horse will be kept.
- Upon acceptance of the application, the adoption agreement will need to be completed along with the payment of the non-refundable adoption fee.
- Make arrangements for transporting the horse to its new home. DEFHR can transport the horse to the designated facility for a nominal fee.
- After two years of follow-up inspections, you may apply for title to the horse.*
*Note, DEFHR will retain ownership of horses adopted through the S.O.S. program.
Have questions? Click here to visit DEFHR's Adoption FAQ page.